Entries in Smoothies (2)
Mint+Chocolate = quite possibly the best combination ever.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Healthy Eating doesn't have to be boring.
So when your under stress there should be no excuses to reach for the junk food right?
Stress and anxiety increase levels of cortisol (the number one chemical released during stressful times) in your body and overtime can contribute to weight gain. So when the going gets tough what do you do?
Here's a few tips that I find helpful:
- Always make sure you get a good breakfast. Skipping meals will cause your blood sugar to drop along with your metabolism and will only make you more irritable.
- Get some exercise and make sure its something you like to do. It's really amazing how even just a little exercise can help you blow off steam. Walking is one of the easiest forms of exercise you can do. Personally I love to lift weights, golf, bike and I can't even tell you how excited I am to hit the hills this winter and get back to snowboarding.
- Keep a food journal so you can account for everything you've eaten. At the same time you can plan your meals ahead of time. This way you're less likely to go rummaging through the cupboards.
- Get some shut eye. Face it. You can't accomplish anything as a zombie. Listen to your body's signals and you'll do just fine. A 10 or 20 minute nap can improve muscle memory and clear the brain of useless built-up information.
- Eat your greens. Spinach in particular is high in magnesium which improves your body's response to stress and stops your blood pressure from rising.
This smoothie is made up of healthy foods that will actually tame your feelings of anxiety and can be whizzed up in no time. It contains raspberries which are highly potent with antioxidants that actually counteract the production of cortisol.
Magnesium rich spinach also helps to regulate cortisol levels and promote a feeling of well being by producing serotonin. You know, that feel good brain chemical that maintains your emotional balance. Just a cup has 40% of your RDA.
Pure 100% alkalized Cocoa powder; yes chocolate! And the darker the chocolate the better. That's because it contains flavonoids and phenethylamine, an organic compound found in plants that enhances your mood. The addition of mint in this smoothie will also promote healthy digestion and a calm tummy.
So take a step back from your day, take a deep breath, and the make this replenishing smoothie. Go ahead, it tastes like dessert! And my favourite part about it; you can enjoy it anytime of day.
Stress Buster Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie (serves 1)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp 100% pure cocoa powder
- 1 generous handful of spinach
- 3 large leaves of fresh mint
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla SUNWARRIOR protein powder or protein powder of your choice
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend away until well combined, thick and creamy.
- Serve immediately and top with a sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut.
There's snow in the forcast next week!
Wishful thinking? ;)
Before I started eating healthier, I never really put much thought into getting the proper nutrition my body needs. I still remember the days when I used to just eat something because I was A) hungry, B) lazy and in a hurry, or C) I wanted it, and it was convenient. All the while without giving a second thought about whether it was good for me. Those were the teenage days. At least the early ones anyway.
Boy how things have changed!
After realizing how crappy my body felt and that it was making me miserable I decided to make a big change in my eating habits and lifestyle, and focus on my health. First went the pop. Then went the rest of all the junk and fast food.
I started lifting weights and within a few months I started to see noticeable definition. I was already fairly active, but the weights made a big difference. After all, muscle burns more calories than fat!
These days I feel like the picture of health and I'm a whole lot happier for it.
I love feeling in shape and toned.
I love the way I feel after I eat something that's bursting with nutrition. Everyday doesn't need to be perfection, but as long as the overall 'big picture' is one that is balanced, I'm happy.
I don't worry about counting calories anymore or bother with products that promote themselves as fat-free or sugar-free; they are just lined with chemicals and other unnatural ingredients. Eating clean gives me the proper nutrition my body needs from real whole foods. Just eat a rainbow of real food.
I like to start my day off sometimes with a nutrient packed smoothie. If I don't get one in the morning I'll also have this for lunch. This guy is gluten-free, vegan, lactose-free, and made with Vega one chocolate mix. It has the equivalent of 3 servings of veggies (+ added fruit), 21 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber, antioxidants, and 50% of your daily intake of vitamins & minerals. It's also low glycemic! Vega is also wonderful If you're looking to lose weight, because of it's low GI rating you keep your blood sugar low and get the maximum amount of nutrition at the same time. It's perfect for supplementing 1 or 2 of your daily meals with in addition with healthy snacks. That's exactly what this smoothie is designed for.
Love, love, love Vega! I must write a review of this stuff. I'm way overdue for it.
Funky Monkey Smoothie (serves 1)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 large tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 scoop Chocolate flavored Vega One
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Place ingredient into blender in this order: frozen banana, Vega powder, peanut butter, and almond milk.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Add ice cubes and pulse.
It almost tastes like a peanut butter cup; my favorite cheat of all time!
This recipe is being shared at Fit and Fabulous Fridays.