Entries in Chocolate (12)
Say hello to my new favourite smoothie.
I've been trying some different combinations out for new smoothie ideas, mainly due to boredom from my same-old. It's delicious but I'm in need of mixing things up for my taste buds sake. Things have also been getting a bit more intense on the workout front. I like to do my cardio 'sans' gym because I prefer to take it outside in the fresh air, especially since it's been warming up. During the week I head to the gym in the evening and lift weights. It's great! It's been six years straight that I've been going since started back up after a few years off due to school and life. My trainer puts together my routines and lately their a little more intense. I definitley feel stronger, but my body is often very stiff and sore.
Truth is, this smoothie is decadent tasting but totally vamped with health benefits. It's exactly what I'm looking for after a hard workout of throwing weights around for an hour. Bye bye inflamed muscles. I've also tried this with coconut milk for a real treat. The coconut milk will help replace any electrolytes lost from sweating, so it's a win win situation. For anyone who is allergic to nut milks feel free to replace the almond/coconut milk with regular milk or your own preference.
Into the blender goes:
- Frozen Banana and strawberries: to top up gycogen stores in your muscles and for thickness.
- Nutmeg: for it's anit-inflammatory properties and it's flavour!
- Cacao Powder: a rich source of antioxidants
- Chocolate Protein Powder: to aid in the recovery of muscle and the building of new muscle.
- Pure Vanilla: for taste of course.
- Almond or Coconut Milk: to help replenish those lost electrolytes.
This smoothie is so simple but so good! Thick, rich, decadent, and guiltless.
Decadence + Recovery = Satisfaction.
Decadent Chocolate Recovery Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: blender beverage breakfast lunch smoothie gluten-free grain-free protein soy-free nutmeg strawberries protein powder North Coast Naturals
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 medium-sized banana (about 7-8" long), frozen
- 2 -3 strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup unsweetended almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 scoop North Coast Naturals Chocolate 100% Iso-Protein
- 2 tablespoon raw cacao powder, or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!
The hardest part is remembering to freeze bananas the night before.
By now you guys know I have a bit of an obsession with nut butters. Don't worry I'm not turning the blog into a nut butter recipe archive. Although...no don't worry, I'm just kidding.
I realize I've been posting quite a few snack recipes lately. That's because I love to make quick and easy snacks that have lots of functional nutrition for the body. Homemade grab-and-go snacks are my favourite kind. I promise I'll get back to posting more meal recipes. But for now I've got one more delicious one to share with you.
These chocolate chip oatmeal bites are full of peanut butter flavour and healthy fats to keep you feeling satiated. If you're not a big fan of peanut butter try using almond butter or sunflower seed butter. But I'm sure many people would agree with me if I said peanut butter completes chocolate.
Made with 5 simple ingredients! No grains, No dairy, No gluten, and No refined sugars...and no oven required.
Seriously what's not to love?
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bites gluten-free, vegan | Yields: 16 balls
adapted from Gimme Some Oven's No Bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp natural peanut butter (or your favourtie nut butter)
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, almond flour, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Add peanut butter and mix together thoroughly.
- Scoop the mixture out of the bowl using a mini ice cream scoop or spoon and then using your hands, roll into balls.
*Tip* Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Serving Size: 1 ball Calories: 142 Fat: 10g Fiber: 2g Protein: 6g Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 8g Sugar: 1g
If you like these check out these Peanut Butter Energy Bites