Entries in Banana (10)
Say hello to my new favourite smoothie.
I've been trying some different combinations out for new smoothie ideas, mainly due to boredom from my same-old. It's delicious but I'm in need of mixing things up for my taste buds sake. Things have also been getting a bit more intense on the workout front. I like to do my cardio 'sans' gym because I prefer to take it outside in the fresh air, especially since it's been warming up. During the week I head to the gym in the evening and lift weights. It's great! It's been six years straight that I've been going since started back up after a few years off due to school and life. My trainer puts together my routines and lately their a little more intense. I definitley feel stronger, but my body is often very stiff and sore.
Truth is, this smoothie is decadent tasting but totally vamped with health benefits. It's exactly what I'm looking for after a hard workout of throwing weights around for an hour. Bye bye inflamed muscles. I've also tried this with coconut milk for a real treat. The coconut milk will help replace any electrolytes lost from sweating, so it's a win win situation. For anyone who is allergic to nut milks feel free to replace the almond/coconut milk with regular milk or your own preference.
Into the blender goes:
- Frozen Banana and strawberries: to top up gycogen stores in your muscles and for thickness.
- Nutmeg: for it's anit-inflammatory properties and it's flavour!
- Cacao Powder: a rich source of antioxidants
- Chocolate Protein Powder: to aid in the recovery of muscle and the building of new muscle.
- Pure Vanilla: for taste of course.
- Almond or Coconut Milk: to help replenish those lost electrolytes.
This smoothie is so simple but so good! Thick, rich, decadent, and guiltless.
Decadence + Recovery = Satisfaction.
Decadent Chocolate Recovery Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: blender beverage breakfast lunch smoothie gluten-free grain-free protein soy-free nutmeg strawberries protein powder North Coast Naturals
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 medium-sized banana (about 7-8" long), frozen
- 2 -3 strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup unsweetended almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 scoop North Coast Naturals Chocolate 100% Iso-Protein
- 2 tablespoon raw cacao powder, or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!
The hardest part is remembering to freeze bananas the night before.
With honey and cinnamon. Yes! That would have been a very long title wouldn't it?
Sure there's always the classic PB+J but I'm a bit of a sucker for this one. Although to honest with you, if it's got nut butter on it or in it I'll love it.
This is a childhood favourite with a few additions.
1. Cinnamon (one of the best spices ever!)
2. Honey (local of course)
...not just any honey either...creamed honey! The texture is just so smooth and silky it puts this sandwich over the top.
Of course there is no wrong way to make a peanut butter sandwich. Whether you like it crunchy or smooth (hey peanut butter choice is a very personal issue), let's just get one thing straight; don't be stingy with it. Am I right? This sandwich is all about the balance of flavor and texture. Two tablespoons will do the job well.
You can have it for breakfast or lunch. Take it on a hike. On thing is for certain... if you have a peanut butter craving, this will cure it.
Are you getting hungry yet?
PB + Banana Sandwich with Cinnamon & Honey (gluten free option) serves 1
- 2 slices whole grain bread (or GF bread)
- 2 tbsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp unpasturized creamed honey
- 1/2 ripe banana
- ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Spread peanut butter evenly on both slices of bread. Gently spread creamed honey over the peanut butter of one slice of bread.
- Slice banana in 3/4-inch slices and place on the other piece of bread with peanut butter. Make sure the banana slices are close together and completely cover the slice of bread.
- Sprinkle both sides well with cinnamon. Place the slices togeter, cut and serve.
*Tip* This is also great toasted up in a panini press or grill.
I think it's effectively cold enough now that it's time to break out the pumpkin.