Have you ever stood in your kitchen and stared at the fridge racking your brain trying to decided what to serve along side dinner. I love my steamed veggies; they're nutritious and I really enjoy them. But there's some days when I just want to jump out of the plain old routine and spice things up.
So here's a simple classic side dish that is reminiscent of Thai take-out.
I'm a huge of of going out to dinner for Thai food. It doesn't get to happen all that often...(sad face)...but it's so good when it does. It's also happens to be one of the few restaurants where you can make some healthier menu choices.
Feeling inspired for my love of Thai food, I came up with this great little side dish. The best part is it only takes five minutes to cook and and a couple minutes to throw together this tasty little sesame dressing.
First I steamed the broccoli with freshly minced garlic. Three to five minutes is just enough to turn the broccoli bright green, tender crisp and bring out all those precious nutrients. Then I whisked together a few choice ingredients that compliment each other. Soy sauce, sesame oil, a pinch of hot red pepper flakes, and of course toasted sesame seeds. Nothing too crazy or out of the ordinary. I wouldn't add much of anything else or the flavours could risk getting confused. Except maybe for a pinch of ginger. That would go quite nicely!
You can serve this with any choice of protein you like. I'd recommend topping some steaming hot brown rice with it. Heck, why not make it a brown rice bowl and add some bell peppers, snap peas and stir-fried chicken.
Is it dinner time yet?
Sesame Steamed Broccoli (serves 4)
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Place the broccoli and minced garlic in a small sauce pot and cover with about 1/4 inch of water. (you can also use a steaming basket if you prefer). Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Steam until the broccoli is tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Transfer the broccoli to the bowl and give it a really good toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
For 1 serving: Calories: 38g Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 4g Sugar: 0g Sodium: 165mg Fiber: 1.5g Protein: 2g